Sunday, February 21, 2010

Book Review: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Published: March 2nd, 2010 by HarperCollins

Description (from Goodreads):
What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?
Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.

My thoughts:
This book was all I expected it to be and even more.
Sam Kingston wakes up on 12th of February, goes to school and believes that it is just a normal Friday night in her life as a popular high school senior; she is invited to party, she gets drunk and makes fun of others. On her way out of the party she gets into a car accident and dies. Next time she awakes it is 12th of February, again. The same thing happens to her 7 mornings in a row. By little changes she can change the course of the day and make a difference in her own and other lifes.

Several characters, including Sam, made me dislike them. First Sam is this popular girl who only thinks of herself and her gorgeous friends. She makes fun of others and thinks that people care about her because they are jealous. She has a boyfriend but when she starts to re-live the same day again and again she realizes that she does not know what she is doing with him. Sam also realizes that her friends are not as gorgeous as she believed and she starts to see faults in them. But the thing I liked the most is the fact that Sam realizes that she is not as wonderful as she believed first. She understands that she has made the life of some students a living hell because she has teased and talked bad things about them. Sam also realizes that Kent, a guy who used to be her friend during her childhood, could be the right one for her. But the big guestion is, does she realize all this way too late?

I bet this book will be a favorite of many YA readers. I throughly enjoyed it. It made me laugh and it made my cry. The story hooked me and it was extremely hard to put this book down and do something else. I am so happy I got change to read this as a ARC and review it before it hits the stores. The language Oliver uses is beautiful and enchanting and it captures the reader. The characters develop and you learn more and more about them as the story goes on. Before I Fall is about love, friendship, second changes and growth as a person.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome review, I cant wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, sorry that I couldn't visit your blog lately, but I had a baby in November and I have been busy ever since. I hope I can manage to stop by from time to time. Take care, Andreea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andreea, no problem, hopefully your baby is fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. The book sounds amazing! lOVE THE COVER.

    ReplyDelete