Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Top 10 reads of 2009

Here are my top 10 books of 2009. I only count the books I read for the first time this year because otherwise the top 3 books would probably be books I've read several times (Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, etc.) Click the name of the book which will take you to Goodreads to read the synopsis of the book.

10. Something Blue by Emily Giffin
('Sequel' to Something Borrowed. I really liked this book because the "heroine" grows as a person; first I couldn't stand her but in the end I really started to like and understand her.)
9. The Reader by Berhard Schlink(Not the type of book I normally read. This book included a lot of sexual tension and images, disturbing situations etc. but the way the book is written is so beautiful that I must include it to this list.)

8. The Importance of being Emma by Juliet Archer
(A very funny modern day adaptation of Jane Austen's Emma. I think that Mr Knightley had a lot to do with the fact that I liked this book so much. I think that Juliet Archer's next book will be a modern adaptation of Jane Austen's Persuasion.)
7. Edmund Bertram's Diary by Amanda Grange(There are so few books about Edmund Bertram and I was so happy when I found this one. I love Edmund, he is my second favorite Austen hero and I just loved to read more about him. Mr Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange is also awesome.)

6. A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks
(This book really made me cry. Beautiful story with suprises. I also love the movie adaptation of this book.)
5. Must've Done Something Good by Cheryl Cory(I could say that this is a modern day adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, at least it has a little P&P twist on it. Really great book which made me laugh.)

4. Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella
(The Funniest book I read this year. I was laughing alone in my room while reading this. Can't wait to read something else by Sophie Kinsella.)

3. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
(This book was a total suprise for me. I'd read a lot about it from the blogsphere but I thought that it is one of those books everyone else but me loves. When I found out that the local library has a copy of it I decided to lent it and see what all the fuzz is about. I was mesmerized.The story is filled with tension and adventure. Can't wait to read Catching Fire.)
2. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
(This books is so beautifully written that it makes me cry. Morrison captures the extremely hard situation and writes beautifully about it. One of the best books I've ever read.)

1. The Crossroads Cafe by Deborah Smith
(This book suprised me completely. The text at the back cover and the picture in the cover almost made me not to read this one. I am so happy I picked this one up and started reading. This book has it all; humor, love, friendship, action... Everyone should read this one! )

The worst books of 2009:
3. The Truth about Diamonds by Nicole Richie
(I hope she understands that she is good at something else than writing)

2. The Heroines by Eileen Favorite
(The idea is SO GOOD but the story sucks BIG TIME)

1. Tuulikaappimaa by Jari Tervo
(The worst book I've EVER read. I have nothing good to say about this book.)

Have you read any of these books from my list? Do you agree/disagree with me about something? I would love to know your thoughts!

9 comments:

  1. Great List for 2009. I LOVED The Bluest Eye and The Reader as well. Happy Reading in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hunger Games - awesome!

    You have an award at my blog.
    http://owlforya.blogspot.com/2009/12/long-needed-awards-post.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read the Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde? He is currently one of my favorite authors and it sounds like you would enjoy his books, if you haven't yet tried them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simcha, thanks for mentioning that book. I will totally look for it, sounds really good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, I love reading about other people's favourite books! I'll be posting my Top 5 tomorrow and our lists have one book in common! :)
    You've mentioned several titles I'd like to read, in particular The Hunger Games ... The story doesn't sound too appealing to me, but everyone seems to be raving about it so I'm really curious ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The WORST book you've ever read? I don't always agree with everyone's opinion on books but if someone tells me a book is the worst book they ever read, that's a pretty good sign to me not to bother!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of great books on your list. I love Jane Eyre too and have read it several times :) I haven't heard of many on your list so will have to do some investigating, but have a couple already on my shelf waiting to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for Cheryl's book!!! I absolutely love it! Thanks for checking out my list, Milka! I enjoyed your review on the Rosie Rushton book, I have the one about P&P that I need to read, it will be my first one by her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Book Chick City- Jane Eyre is amazing! One of the best books ever.

    @Meredith- Cheryl books is so good, I really want to reread at some point when I have time. So many books to read at this time that I really don't have time to reread books that I would love to read again. :/ Rosie Rushton's books are so fast to read and for Austenlovers they are a great way to explore Austen through the eyes of teenager. :D

    ReplyDelete