Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Book Review: Secret Schemes and Daring Dreams by Rosie Rushton

rDescribtion (from rosierushton.com):
What would happen if Jane Austen's EMMA was set in the twenty first century? Emma Woodhouse is a caring, considerate sort of girl who is well aware of her own good fortune and talent for getting the best out of other people. Which is why, when she meets someone with untapped potential, she puts all interests to one side and sets out to change their lives for them - whether they like it or not. When Emma's childhood friend, George Knightley, needs help at his family's country house hotel over the summer, she sees the perfect opportunity to improve the lot of her new friend, the shy and unfortunate Harriet Smith. But as one after another of Emma's secret schemes go horribly wrong, she finds that nothing (and no one) is ever as simple as it seems.


My Thoughts: This is the 3rd book I read by Rosie Rushton and I must say that it wasn't be best from those three books. Emma does not belong to my favorite Austen novels but there are some elements I really like about Emma, like Mr. Knightley. ;) When reading Austen's Emma I like Emma as character even though she is a little snob and knows that she is above the other people. While reading this book Emma made me really annoyed because at some parts she was a total bitch.

While reading this book you get to know Jane Austen's Emma's characters on 21st century. Mr Woodhouse is ex-rock star who tries to save the world by using and advertising green products and living green lifestyle. Ms. Bates is called Lily Bates, a way too talkative girl who sees Emma as "goddess". Jane Fairfax is Jake Fairfax, Lily's rockstar cousin who shares a secret with Freddie Churchill (Frank Churchill). Theo Elton (Mr. Elton) is a medical student who has a secret crush on Emma. The story pattern is the same as in Emma but with a 21st century twist.

Mr Knightley is so gorgeous in Jane Austen's Emma. While reading this book I kept waiting and waiting to see the gorgeous Knightley but someway I feel like he wasn't there, all the other characters were so visible and he was just somewhere at the background.

I think that Rosie Rushton's books are great for teens who want to get to know Jane Austen but who are not ready to read the actual novels. This book along with the other "Austen books" is fast to read. For you, who has already read Emma by Austen, this is a nice, 21st century perspective to the story with a teenager heroine.

Other Jane Austen related YA books by Rosie Rushton:
-Summer of Secrets (modern retelling of Northanger Abbey)
-The Secrets of Love (modern retelling of Sense and Sensibility)
-Love, Lies and Lizzie (modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice
-Echoes of Love (modern retelling of Persuasion) WILL BE PUBLISHED IN FEBRUARY 2010

1 comment:

  1. Milka,
    I would very much like to wish you every happiness in the new year also I have an award for you over at my blog. You have been very kind to me this last year and I hope this award goes a little way in showing you how much I appreciate your friendship.
    May all your dreams come true.
    Hugs,
    Simone.

    ReplyDelete